1. Do you have the athletic skills required to compete in college?
Have you had anyone objective provide an accurate skill assessment?
Do you know what level to target yourself based on your skills and size?
2. Do you have the academic credentials to meet the NCAA Eligibility standards for D I and D II players?
Do you know the combination of grades and test scores they require?
3. Do you think you can handle an academic load, given the time commitments you will need to make to training, conditioning, practices, competitions, and travel?
Do you know what academic resources are available to help you at the schools you're interested in?
4. Is it important to you that you're an impact player or are you content to just be part of the team?
Are you taking that into consideration when you choose which level of schools to target?
5. Do the schools interested in you for your sport also have the other characteristics you are looking for in a college experience?
Do the schools you've put on your list have those characteristics?
Have you even thought through what characteristics (other than the sports program) are important to you?
6. Can you afford it?
Do you know how to get the financial aid you will need?
7. Do you know how serious the college coaches you are talking to are about you?
Do you know where you stand on their depth chart for your position?
8. Do you know what to put into the hands of coaches to make your case and separate yourself from the crowd?
Have you posted your information online?
Have you sent out letters to the coaches you're interested in to direct them to this information?
9. Do you know what's expected on a campus visit?
Do you have a list of questions for both the coaching staff and the other players?
10. Do you know how to decide which offer to accept if you have more than one?
Do you know about likely letters, letters of intent, and early admissions?